The event will be run under the following rules:
- This is an open road timed event.
- This is not a race.
- The wearing of a cycling helmet conforming to CE standards EN1078 is mandatory for all riders. No helmet, No ride!
- Minimum age on the day to ride is 18 years old.
- Please ensure that your bike is fit for purpose including tyres, brakes, steering, system checks.
- Riders must wear the necessary clothing to suit the conditions.
- Riders must ride within their ability and must pay close attention to road conditions.
- Time Trial Bikes / TT Bars / Triathlon Bars are not permitted in this event.
- This event will be held on open roads. Although there will be marshals at junctions, the onus is on each cyclist to obey the rules of the road to avoid injury.
It is imperative that riders obey the ‘Highway Code’ at all times, and follow instructions given by marshals. The course is very technical and requires both a high level of fitness and skill ability. Riders must ride within their ability and must pay close attention to road conditions.
Riders will encounter a wide range of hazards on the course from freely roaming animal stock, a variety of tarmac conditions, loose surfaces from gravel to stones and mud, blind corners, cars and slow farm vehicles etc.Group Starts: All riders will receive a Bib Number and Timing Chip. As this is a non-competitive chip timed event, we will not be allocating riders to pens according to their previous finish times. For safety reasons, riders will leave in groups of 30-50 at 3 minute intervals.
- There is no car parking space at the Start Line, please park your cars at NUIG Corrib Village Park and Ride Facility (see directions here) and take care when cycling down the avenue to Croí House. Riders will be setting off at 8.30am.
- You will also be given a card with details of the route and telephone numbers.
Saturday 20th August 2-5.30pm @ Nigel’s Cycle Store, Tuam Road, Galway
Sunday 21st August 7am – 8am @ Start Area, Croí House, Galway
All Riders must attend registration to sign in and pick up your Starters Pack including Timing Chip, Bib Number. For those that are travelling long distances, you will be able to pick up your Pack on the morning of the event. The cut off for event start is 8.30am.
No Registration = No Bib Number = No Ride!